Over the past few years we’ve compiled a list of some useful computer tips and solutions and thought we would share them. Please let us know if you have any tips that you’d like to ad.
- How, when, & why to reset the PRAM & SMC on your Mac
- Apple Hardware Test
- Macbook stopped syncing iWork files with iCloud
- Gestures stop working on Mac. This occurs after the computer wakes from sleeping.
- Run this command at termnial: killall -kill Dock
- Our preferred offsite backup solution
- Our preferred local backup solution
- Favourite password manager
Below is an example of a very sketchy domain renewal email that we received today. The domain was originally registered at Godaddy, however, this company spammed us with this questionable registration.
Although domain registrars are free to charge what they want for domain renewals, $75/year is very steep. This is not to mention that this company looks very shady and is not a business that we’d trust with our domains. I’m not suggesting that this solicitation is (or isn’t) illegal, rather it’s on the outside edge of ethical in our opinion.
We’ve also received similar lettermail solicitations that look very convincing and are also charging high rates for domain renewals.
Here are a few tips to protect yourself and your domains:.
- If registering domains yourself, always keep your registrars login information in a safe place. Don’t give it to anyone that you don’t know or trust.
- Only deal with well-known domain registrars. We primarily use Domainsatcost.ca for all .ca domains. Godaddy.com is our preferred registrar for most other domains.
- Don’t be tempted to transfer your domains to another individual or registrar unless you are certain that you want to do so. Once a domain has been transferred to someone else, you could have a very hard time getting it back.
- If you can’t remember who your domain registrar is, do a WHOIS search to find out.
- Let Silver Barrel Solutions manage your domains for you. We will never solicit you in this fashion and we only deal with appropriate domain registrars that we have a long relationship with. We’ll keep track of all your renewal dates so you don’t need to worry and we’ll deal with all DNS configuration
- Any invoice for domain renewals for a domain that Silver Barrel Solutions is managing on your behalf will always come directly from us, on our standard Silver Barrel Solutions Invoice.
- If you are in doubt about the legitimacy of any invoice or renewal notification please do not hesitate to contact us. We’d be happy to clear up any confusion.
Domain names are an integral part of our business or personal identity these days. Ensure that you take the appropriate precautions to protect your investment!
Sample of bogus domain registration solicitation: