Medical Office Program
Learn to understand, spell, and pronounce medical words and phrases. Develop a basic understanding of body systems, anatomy, and medical disorders as well as word structures, prefixes, suffixes, and root forms. Content covers fundamentals for a variety of healthcare jobs. Expect 6 or more hours of study per week. This course is recognized by Camosun College for entry into some programs and prepares students to write the VIHA exam.
Prerequisite: English 12 or equivalent
Required text: The Language of Medicine 8th Edition; $95 (Text price may change.)
Instructor: Angela Ndakwe
60 hours Location: WestShore Annex
Tue & Thur Jan 26 - Apr 15 6:30 - 9 pm 123-10mt-1
Tue & Fri Apr 20 – July 9 6:00 – 8:30 pm 123-09mt-3
This intensive 60-hour course is recognized by Camosun College for entry into some programs and prepares students to write the VIHA exam.
View the Medical Terminology course outline
Medical Office Assistant Program
A skilled medical office assistant is an invaluable asset to any medical office, able to work smoothly and efficiently with medical professionals and patients while performing a range of office duties. The MOA is expected to have a range of skills, including typing, filing and computers, plus excellent interpersonal, telephone and communication skills for working in either a medical office or clinic. If you enjoy working with people in a dynamic environment, this program will provide you with the skills to get started in this exciting career.
This part-time program is designed for learners who already have prior computer and typing skills.
View the Medical Office Program outline
- Medical Terminology or Basic Medical Terminology for MOA’s
- Medical Office Assistant Procedures
- Medical Billing & Keyboarding
The program provides three options, depending on learner's goals and prior learning:
Option A - 80 hours of instruction
Option B - 65 hours of instruction
- Provides the 15-hour basic medical terminology plus the Medical Office Assistant Procedures and Medical Billing & Keyboarding, for learners who wish to complete in one term and wish to work in a clinic or GP's office
Option C - 125 hours of instruction
- Learners who have completed the WestShore Centre or Camosun College Medical Terminology course in the past 3 years, with a grade of 80% or better need take only the Medical Office Procedures & Medical Billing and Keyboarding
Learners who do not have sufficient typing or computer skills are expected to achieve these skills prior to the Medical Billing and Keyboarding portion of the program.
- This option is recommended to be taken over two terms, (2 evenings per week) with the first term consisting of the 60 hour Medical Terminology which prepares for the VIHA assessment, and the second term including the Medical Office Procedures & Medical Billing and Keyboarding. This option prepares graduates to apply with VIHA and various specialists offices.
Medical Terminology Basics for MOA’s
This six session course introduces learners to basic medical terms you may encounter in a medical office or clinic. Develop a basic understanding of body systems, anatomy and medical words and phrases.
This course is designed as a prerequisite for Medical Office Assistant Procedures.
This course is accepted as an alternative to the shorter Medical Terminology Basics for MOA's in the MOA Program.
Learners who have completed Medical Terminology within the past 3 years, with 75% or better are not required to take the Basic Medical Terminology for MOA’s course.
Medical Office Assistant Procedures
Learn what is required to function efficiently in a medical office environment. Learn office procedures such as scheduling, receiving patients, organizing and processing medical records and tests, and the skills and techniques for assisting patients and medical staff. Learn the essentials of working with people: effective communication skills and telephone techniques, ethics and confidentiality.
Medical Billing and Keyboarding
Learn computerized medical billing and scheduling using the WOLF Medical Systems, a Windows-based application used by many medical offices on Vancouver Island. Improve keyboarding speed and accuracy and familiarize yourself with the various medical forms and reports encountered in a medical office.
Prerequisites required prior to Computerized Medical Billing
Download list of required computer and typing skills
- Typing speed of 30 wpm (documentation or assessment)
- Good computer and word processing skills (documentation or assessment)
Program Dates and Fees:
$700 plus texts Mon & Wed 6:30 - 9 pm
Spring 2010 Start date: February 8, 2010 End date: May 31, 2010
This option takes about 3 months.
$570 plus texts Mon & Wed 6:30 - 9 pm
Spring 2010 Start date: March 1, 2010 End date: May 31, 2010
Option C - Starts this Sept 2009
Take the Medical Terminology in January or April and the Medical Office Assistant Procedures in Fall 2010.
$920 plus texts
How to Apply
Complete the Medical Office Assistant Application form
and include all relevant documentation and a $100 deposit.
Submit to WestShore Centre by email or fax, or drop at 814 Goldstream Ave.
Application deadline for Winter Program: February 1, 201